Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Monica
Our mission is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as caring, responsible and productive citizens.
We help youth ages 7 through 18 build confidence, gain valuable academic, social and ethical skills, and have fun on a daily basis. We accomplish this by offering programs that promote healthy development for only $20 per year. Our programs uphold these core principles:
- Safe & Positive Environment: Club staff, facilities, and programs provide young people with a sense of community.
- Support: Our staff is trained to provide the warmth, care, acceptance and appreciation needed to develop meaningful relationships.
- Opportunities: Members have the opportunity to learn, give back to the community, discover their needs, set goals and make new friends.
- Fun & Sense of Belonging: The personal connections our members form with their peers and our staff create a sense of belonging.
- Recognition: Positive reinforcement and encouragement are key in helping members learn and grow.
We have real impact on the lives of the kids we serve. But don't just believe us - hear it from the people who have passed through our doors. In 2007, Boys & Girls Clubs of America commissioned Harris Interactive to conduct a survey of Club alumni to assess the impact of the Clubs on their lives. Some highlights:
- 57 percent of alumni said that the Club saved their life.
- 90 percent of Club alumni graduated from high school compared to a national average of 85 percent.
- 92 percent of alumni believe helping others is a priority.
- 81 percent said their participation in the Boys & Girls Clubs helped them develop a sense of responsibility to give back to their community.
We also have a significant impact on the community. According to a 2010 study by Damooei Global Research, The Annual Return on Investment of the Dollars Spent on Boys & Girls Clubs Programs in LA County was an Impressive 1,642%. Here are some ways we have an impact on our community:
- High School Graduation Rate Increase: 90% of Club alumni graduated from high school, compared to 2007 national average of 68%.
- Reduction in Teenage Motherhood: Fewer than 3 childbirths per 1,000 occur among Club members, compared to an average of 34 per 1,000 in similar communities nationally.
- Juvenile Crime Prevention: Members are less likely than their peers to participate in crimes.
- Improved Parental Ability to Work and Go to School While Kids are Safe at the Club: 78% of parents say the Club enables them to keep their employment.
- Value of Economic Output, Jobs and Tax Revenue: Clubs create business activity through operating and capital expenditures measured in terms of output, employment and tax revenue.
We accomplish these things because of the support and commitment of our staff, volunteers, board members, donors and corporate partners who are committed to improving the lives of L.A.-area young people. Use your influence and become one of our grassroots fundraisers. And visit us at begreatsantamonica.org to learn how you can get involved and help young people Be GREAT.
Santa Monica, CA 90401-1704
Nonprofit status since: January 1946